Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Good night, sweetheart, its time to go now.

It's 3:30 in the morning and I am having to make one of the hardest decisions of my life. I am searching blogs reading what others say (Slate and Whirlpool), but I know the decision rests with me.

It is not as if I hadn't been here before. The first time (Taco) really doesn't count as I believe I acted out of ignorance. If I had more information, I probably would have made a different decision. She is buried at our house in Ocean Springs.

The second time was easy, as May Lee was experiencing kidney failure. In that case, I probably hung on too long before making a decision. She died peacefully in my arms after getting a shot.  I do remember leaving her at the vet in Moron and walking down the street crying. I went to the NCO Club on base for medication.

It was several years later in Texas when we lost May Lee's daughter, Honey. She knew when it was time, and went in the night. I got up and found her, as I suspected I would, and I bawled like a baby. I buried her, crying all the time, and put a tree on top to mark her grave. I'll get back to Hereford one day and see if it is still there.

Bitsy was born in Hereford, and she went here in Florida. She must have been in a lot of pain, as she could hardly walk at the end. I definitely waited too long on her, and decided to relieve her pain and take her to the vet in the morning. She went on her own that very night, and I regret waiting so long.

Muffin is losing her sight. Pat said she couldn't even see her dinner last night. Her hearing is going, and she just lays in the kitchen or in a chair all day. There is no apparent "quality of life" remaining.

I have a friend who just spent several thousand dollars trying to save one of her cats. That is not an option for me, and the result would probably be the same. The cat didn't make it anyway, and how can you be sure that they are not in pain.

On the other hand, how do you know you are jumping the gun? Maybe I just don't like waking at 3:30 in the morning. Maybe I don't like the extra work it takes to get her to take care of business. Maybe I am being influenced by the fact that I have two very young dogs in addition to Muffin.

It's been 2 hours since she got me up and she is sleeping peacefully. Maybe it's not time after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment