Wednesday, January 02, 2013

13 for 2013


Me…jog???  Pffffft… If you see me running, you better run too cuz there’s something chasing me.

I do not plan to do anything in 2013 so outrageous. I did run once in Moron, Spain. It was during their local feria, and they had three or four bulls running in the street, along with some crazy people like me. I almost bought it, as one bull had me in a corner. But, it wasn’t my day, and he was distracted at the last moment. I limited my running after that to my annual fitness test.

Unless one wants to free-float, you have to have some targets, goals, or, what the heck, resolutions to guide you. So, I have come up with 13 for 2013. The intended consequences are to be a better person, and help others at the same time. Wish me luck.
  1. Spend 13 minutes per day attempting to destroy a Gazelle by Tony Little.
  2. Experience 13 new artistic tastings. I completed one already.
    1. Wim Wenders’ “Pina.”  (Modern Dance)
  3. Spend 13 minutes per day improving the look of my cave.
  4. Perform 13 random acts of kindness.
  5. Improve my diet by focusing on healthful carbohydrates like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, soy products in natural, unrefined forms and some fish, like salmon.
  6. Visit the cinema 13 times this year starting with Oscar contenders “Amour”, “Les Misérables”, “Lincoln”, and “Zero Dark Thirty”. 
  7. Attend 13 community events
  8. Visit 13 new restaurants
  9. Read 13 books of quality this year. Starting with “The Boy Kings of Texas: A Memoir” by Domingo Martinez 
  10. Lose 13 pounds. Over 66 percent of adult Americans are considered overweight or obese by recent studies, and I am one of them.
  11. Quit smoking. Believe me, it will be the 13th time I have tried.
  12. Spend 13 minutes a day learning a language.
  13. Stay tuned