Sunday, January 13, 2013

Bacon Fudge



I have been meaning to make bacon brownies for some time. I finally got around to it last night. Well, it was bacon fudge, but that's OK.

I had the bacon already. Yes, you can use any bacon that your favorite supermarket provides, but I was looking for something special. I used Boss Hog bacon, which is available from Bacon Freak. It may not be the perfect bacon for bacon brownies as it does not get crispy when you cook it. That means you have to cut it up instead of just crumbling it. Ladies, if you are interested in attracting the right kind of male, Bacon Freak also has Boss Hog fragrance.

Now, do not think that you need a whole package of bacon to make brownies. In fact, you only need about a quarter pound. What to do with the rest of that bacon is not a problem. One of the steps in making fudge is to stir the milk and sugar for four minutes. While your right hand is stirring, you can be picking up the prepared bacon with your left hand and enjoying it. It won't lesson the stirring time, but it sure makes it more enjoyable. I found that when I was finished stirring, I had exactly a quarter pound left.

I mentioned milk and sugar. You will need that as well as eggs and chocolate, Marshmallows are nice, and, while I consider pecans essential to good brownies, I forgot them. That is called a "senior moment." If you have not experienced one, don't worry, you will. Say that last line as Steven Berkoff did in Rambo II. LOL

Now, I could give you all the measures, but that would be a real waste of time. When I was picking up a Christmas present Pat at ordered at Walmart, I found a box of Carnation fudge mix at the checkout. I grabbed it, thinking this was a simple solution to my quest. Since I had no eggs in the house, It was the perfect solution. I just substituted a tablespoon of the bacon grease for a tablespoon of butter and I was good to go. I cut up my bacon and put it in the mix as I was putting it in the pan. I saved some to put on top as you see above.

Note the Carnation box says 24 servings. It should be obvious from my picture, that I will only get four servings.

Next time I will use a brownie mix. Ghiradelli and Duncan Hines both make them, and I am sure there are others. Makes  it easy to prepare as you do not have to worry about missing an ingredient. If you are a purist with time on your hands. there are many recipes for brownies and fudge on the internet, or you may have a favorite anyway. Just add bacon after you pour in half the mix, and then gently pour the other half on top. Remember to save a little to top you goodie.

It goes well with your favorite vanilla ice cream. I use Ben & Jerry's, but conservative friends can use something like Blue Bell. It's not real ice cream, but I guess it'll do.

Don't forget to enjoy.