Sunday, January 06, 2013

Sunday Morning Musings

In the aftermath of the Sandy hook shootings, we are seeing many panels of "concerned" citizens being formed. Orlando will have it's own on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.. You can watch it online at www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion if you want, but your time is better spent elsewhere.

The panel will include Ex-Senator Truck Nutz. What does he have to contribute except "buy more guns"?

Carey Baker is the poster child for what is wrong with the Florida legislature. An uneducated gun dealer who spends all of his time trying to find the next big office to hold. He has contributed nothing to improving Florida, and his presence on any panel is not even to the level of Taylor Swift.

There is also state Rep. Dennis Baxley, sponsor of Florida’s “stand your ground” law. This is the law that allows white Floridians to murder minorities with impunity. Like a cancer, it has spread to many other states through the efforts of white supremacists.

Can Orlando not find more intelligent and informed people to make up their panels?

I wonder how many of the panelists will bring up violent movies and games. Canadians watch violent movies and play violent games and they are not shooting each other. Maybe it is time to look elsewhere. That would, of course, require a panel that is not stuck in a rut.

We have a lot of gun deaths here in Central Florida; many of them are drug related or random drive bys. There are parts of Orlando that tourists should stay out of for their safety. I remember living in Tampa some 40 years ago. If you had to drive through Ibor City at night, you had your doors locked and windows up, and you better know where you are going. People would say that you shouldn't even stop for red lights - it was too dangerous. I haven't been to Ibor City in a long while, but I understand it has become quite a tourist attraction.

The availability of guns results in many losing their lives over what I consider trivial matters. I have always wondered why someone has to shoot their ex, and either spend the rest of their lives in jail or end up shooting themselves. Can they not just get over it? There are other fish in the sea. Seriously, no one has to be alone, you just may have to look harder for a mate. The sad result is children growing up with a parent, or innocent bystanders getting killed.

I am not smart enough to solve that particular problem. I just wish I could understand the reasoning. It is just one of those things that bug me because I don't know why.

It's like my search for George Forman "Comfort Zone" tees. They are the best I have ever worn, and now I can't find them. I swear I will buy 100 if I ever see them again.

UPDATE:  I mentioned Florida treasures the other day (Carl Hiaasen, Commander Coconut, and Debbie Wasserman Shultz), and I forgot one other: Scott Maxwell of the Orlando Sentinel. He is a must read, even if he does ocassionly waste your time talking about Taylor Swift.

Time to get ready to watch RGIII, so y'all have a great day.