Friday, January 11, 2013

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Unintended Consequences


Things do not always turn out the way you planned. That should be no surprise to anyone, but sometimes the way things happen is just funny.

I went to CVS the other day as Pat told me they had a sale on TRESemmé. I am not a slave to brands, although I do like Pure Aveda, so three for $10 was very appealing. I got to the store and found they also had coupons on them worth $1.75. That's buy one, get two free! What a deal. Needless to say, I did look around and got caught at the "As Seen on TV" shelf. Santa brought me a Kuerig for Christmas, so I saw they had a package of four filters that you can put your favorite coffee in (Starbucks Sumatra) your Keurig. I had a single filter, but four means I always have coffee ready to brew. Hey, Starbucks, what's up with that "Blonde" coffee? If they want weak coffee, they can find it on the supermarket shelf in large quantities.

Then I saw what they called a "pocket hose." Definitely something I need, as I got a shower the last time I turned the hose on. There was also a light that you slap up on the wall and it turns on anytime someone walks by. Great idea, but it was a disappointment when I got home as it really doesn't provide much light. It's OK, but you would need about 10 of them to light a two-car garage. Lastly, I got a Mighty Mend. I have several projects where that would be useful.

Bottom line: I went in to spend $10 on shampoo, and walked out about $60 poorer. Maybe I would have been better off going to the salon.

Oscar Time

The Oscar season has started, and for the next 44 days, we will be bombarded with award shows, and discussion about who should win. I am something of a movie nut, so this is a fun time of year for me.

Three to see, if you haven't already, are Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, and Silver Linings Playbook.

Of course, there is always controversy about the Oscars. This year, it's the omission of highly regarded directors. I am reminded of a line by one of my favorite characters in  Inglourious Basterds: Shosanna Dreyfus: "I'm French. We respect directors in our country."

The Broadcast Film Critics Association gave out their awards last night, and Argo won Best Picture, and Ben Affleck was awarded Best Director. Affleck was one of the directors left off the Oscar ballot. Maybe I should add Argo to the "must see" list.

I really enjoyed reading "No Easy Day: The Autobiography of a Navy SEAL" by Mark Owen, so Zero Dark Thirty is on the top of my list to see.

Final Thought

I have been a philhellene for many years. I fully expect to spend my last days in Greece. Imagine my surprise to find out today that I actually have Greek blood. Being mostly Sicilian (from my mother), I find that at one time there were more Greeks in Sicily that there were in Greece. They totally dominated the island until the Romans came. Many of the greatest Greek myths, and some of the greatest Greek temples and amphitheatres, are Sicilian. Archimedes was born in the Sicilian city of Syracuse, which came to rival Athens in power and prestige.

Ya'll have a great weekend.